Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Blog, blog, bloggity blog...

Tuesday July 1st 2014 –

Welcome to JULY!  It’s Tuesday… BLOG day.  I’ve been putting it off, I am on vacation after all…   and today I just stay in and hang out.  I’m a little pink and I need to let my skin rest a bit, and I figure that I need to take a bite out of this blog before it gets away from me.  So today I got 5 days of blogging done!

It was an early morning for me – I got up at 4:30 for some reason and just hung out on the balcony and watched the sunrise with my cup of coffee.  As the lights come up I notice that there has been a bit of shenanigans overnight.. I notice what I first think is a heart on the sand, made out of seaweed that was collected.  But as I look further, it’s not a heart with an arrow, it’s a large phallic symbol (like 20 feet long) with “Alabama sucks” down the middle.  I regretted not getting a picture of it later because as soon as people became aware of it, it was cleaned up.  But then what do I really want with a picture of it?  Would I post it?  Probably not.  

As it gets a little lighter, at about 5:00, Amy comes out on the balcony with some of her leftovers from dinner  for breakfast (Felix’s).. and we chat… and we notice that there seems to be some of our things missing from the beach.  We had two chairs and we can see just one, and the one that had Amy’s towel and our blankets is not there – her umbrella is there, but moved down the beach a bit.  We get the binoculars and look up and down the beach to see if we can see the other chair, but no luck.  Amy decides to just head down to the beach to see what she can find, and immediately she sees her beach towel hanging off the back of a chair, but it’s under one of the tents.  There’s a man under there too, packing up things into a wagon – she talks to him and she finds that all his things were moved around too, and one of his umbrellas is gone, he thinks that he sees it down the beach, but it could belong to someone else and he doesn’t want to take it if it isn’t his.  But from now on he’ll be taking his things up every night – and today after we’re done, we will too.  Amy suspects that it could be the same people that had a good time with the art work.  Drama at the beach! 

The others get up, get ready and they head down to the beach – and Logan is back – we had missed him the day before, not sure where he was but his family was around.  Amy heads down about noon, and I just had a lazy day inside, reading on the balcony, catching up on the blog.. The waves were milder today and they didn’t take the gals into shore when they were out floating – the past couple of days they’ve been a little rough (in a fun way) – with the rafts it’s a good time to ride the waves.

It’s now about 4:30 and I’ve caught up on the blog!   The others have come in and we’re watching the USA vs. Belgium game – they’re all showered and dressed (I’m still in PJs!), well mostly, Patti is still a slacker and not dressed yet.   The game is in “extra time” .. we made it CLOSE didn’t we?!  Exciting game, and just as I get some lingo down, we’re out.  It’s all about me.  While we were finishing up the game I made a quick video of the condo if you’re interested:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48gJ2ixWNw

Tonight we’ll try another place on our list. With the game over we head out to The Steamer – we’re like locals now, we know back roads cuz we’re cool like that.  We stay off the strip as much as possible just because it’s so slow going.  The place we go tonight promises no fried food on the menu (and I think that it’s both an advertisement and a warning to those people that want fried).  It turns out to be our favorite spot so far (besides Felix’s).  We have the Royal Reds because they come recommended by Patti’s friend Jackie.  They’re HUGE, and they taste more like lobster than shrimp – we are sure that someone is shaking their heads because we’re not sucking on the heads.  Someone somewhere is saying, “but that’s the best part!” – we realize that the table next to us is laughing at us – to the point that they we’re now chatting with them about how we’re not sucking heads.   




The food come like a boil pot with corn and new potatoes (or potato salad if you so choose) – both were really good!  The slaw was really good too, slaw is one of those things that is a matter of taste, and the reason I mention it was because Dana thought that the slaw was “too cabbage-y”.. ummm… it’s cabbage.  Amy and I order the bacon wrapped scallops – I have a thing about duplicating orders, it’s kind of a waste of an order because then there’s one less dish on the menu that you got to try (when you taste each other’s food),  I almost got the crab legs (which Dana got) and I think that when we go back (we’ll probably go back) that I’ll get them. They looked really good!  The scallops were good, but (don’t tell Randy Rhyne) there was too much bacon on them.  Lost the scallop.  Patti got the crab cakes and the really good potato salad.  Good meal (finally!).
Crab cakes

Bacon wrapped scallops

Crab legs and shrimp


After dinner we walk across the sleep and shop a bit again – it’s just T-Shirts and local souvenirs, but we find some cute shirts and we’ll be back to that place.  We're here long enough that we can check them all out and then go back to the places where we want things. 

It’s 7:30 now, and we head back to the condo so we can watch “The Next Great Baker” (on TLC) – there is a St. Louis team on there and our friend Angela is friends with them (Al and Lia, the blue team, if you’re watching – Lia works at Hendel’s in St. Louis).  While we’re watching I post the blogs and Dana has a frozen mango margarita (which she hands off to Amy because she gets light-headed – she’s a lush).  

As the blog post, they’re all reading them.. and giving me corrections.  Now, let it be known that they all we given an opp to read it and fix things before I posted them – but now they have edits (which I’ve fixed – I had the wrong people rooming together and walking down the beach).  
Reading the blog... 
I try my own experiment with the Strawbe-ritas – I froze two ice cube trays of them and then put them in the blender (with a 3rd one for some liquid) and it turned out well.  We even got to use the margarita glasses that the condo owners left for us.   


Chill’n now, watching more Orange is the New Black.   Probably heading down to Orange Beach tmw to the wharf and check out Flora-bama at the state line.    

I leave you with the art work from our respective bathrooms - the drunken hedonism of the adult bathroom:

Drunk rasta lizard... 

Happy dancing animals in the kids' room


No comments:

Post a Comment