Friday, July 12, 2013

Keep Calm... and Don't Panic... July 7, 2013


We’re up early today! It’s the kids’ last day in the UK – their plane leaves at 9:30am, the airport is about 15 minutes away (so we’re allowing for 30 minutes), and then we want them there 2 hours before.  So we’re leaving at about 6:45 (Brittany is our reminder of the time…) we actually get out about 7am, and we have to get the car and return the keys. The place to return the key is just down from where we’re staying, and we’re parked in a garage right across the street from the apt – so we’re all good.
 
We head out of our blue Dublin door and across the way, and as I approach the parking garage I get a feeling of dread… which turns to slight panic…  the garage … where our car is parked …..is completely locked up.  There are HUGE metal garage doors that are pulled down over the entrances and locked – we can’t even see into them!!  Our car is completely inaccessible – we walk around to the pedestrian entrance and it’s also all locked up (not like we can get in and then have no way out – so it didn’t really matter – we’re not going anywhere soon).  There are signs posted with a phone number saying that if we require entrance “after hours” then it’s a 40 Euro fee.  But my primary concern is getting the kids to the airport NOW.  Problem solving goes into overdrive and the group suggests a cab – we’ve got to get them a cab, and there are cabs up on the main street where we have to return the key.  And if we don’t find a cab there, then I can have the guy that I return the key to call for a cab.  I head off with the keys and the kids – and leave the others with our bags, they’re in charge of calling the number to see about getting the car out.  This is all just part of our adventure.  We always just take it in stride, it’s part of travelling in a different country and culture – but it goes to a new level just because it’s the kids’ flight home that is in the balance right now.  We’ll figure out the car… but gotta get the kids home.
Taken after the excitement...
 

We walk a block up and turn the corner and there is a cab just ahead – no waiting!  Whew!   I ask him how much for two people to the airport and he says 20-25 Euro.. I give him 30 to be safe and tell him to give them the change.  I make sure that Lauren has the flight information – and stick them in a cab.  I was so focused on getting them in a cab, that it’s not until I see them sitting in it about ready to pull away that I’m just so struck by this moment.  This is NOT how I was supposed to say goodbye to them – I didn’t even get a hug – but I tell them goodbye and to take care of each other and TEXT TEXT TEXT – let me know at every step of the way that you’re ok and you’re on the plane.  And they’re gone… I keep telling myself that they’re adults… they’re 18 and 20… but I got them over here, I wanted to be the one to see that they got home.  And I’m sure they were freaking out too – I just stuck them in a cab to the airport alone – but they didn’t show it.  They’re rolling with the punches too.  Grateful to have them off to the airport, feeling horrible that this is the way it happened.
They're in the black one... bye kids!
 

I watch the cab until it’s gone and then continue up the street to return the keys.  He asks me if everything went well with the apt – and I think I overwhelm him just a little bit when I tell him that I’m freaking a little because our car is locked up and I had to just put my niece and nephew in a cab headed to the Dublin airport.  He acts like, “well of course the garage wouldn’t be open on a Sunday....” – not sure where people park on a Sunday – the street parking is only from 7am-7pm – so no overnight..  .  But it’s definitely a culture thing.  Shops don’t really open until about 10 on a weekday – and on a Sunday? Who knows when something might open.  If at all.

I walk back to the parking garage, and get the update from the others – they called the number and it’s just a security company that is in charge of unlocking it, they (the people they called) don’t know when it opens (we thought that if it was soon, we might just wait) – but he thinks it opens at 11.  So we agree to pay the fee, just 10 Euro each.. and really it’s not long at all before he’s there to unlock it – less than 30 minutes.  We go around to the exit of the building and he opens it up – we still have to pay for the ticket to get out as well, which we knew.  I ask him how often he has to do this, and he says OFTEN.  I suggest that he should put something in the suggestion box about a warning that it’s not accessible at all times, and he just smiles at us…it’s not an unpleasant experience really – just an inconvenience – just another story to tell.  We’re just taking it as part of the adventure, he’s not bothered by us – we get the car and tell Tim where we want to go.  Brittany is taking over navigator today because she’s a pro with the gps. It’s a reluctant role, and really no one wants to do it ever.  I’m really really trying not to get my feelings hurt that absolutely no one wants to sit up front with me and navigate.  On some level it’s been fun to be the joke about how nervous they are about the driving, and I’m really trying to do everything I can to make them all more comfortable, but not sure what else I can do to comfort them.  I’m feeling very comfortable driving now, much more so than the first day – but there are still reminders that I’m the only one that wanted to make this trip by car.  I’m still glad that we did it – I love seeing the countryside and it gives us a flexibility to do things that we want that we wouldn’t have with any other mode of transportation. Grateful to Brittany for being willing to sit up front with me.  Brave girl.  J
 
We get gas before we head out and we see a guy there that looks JUST LIKE “Walter” the puppet.  We hit the bathroom (never turn down a chance to pee), and they’re all self contained. The sink and the hand dryer are in the stall with the toilet.. but it’s no bigger than your regular toilet stall, in fact it’s smaller.  So your knee moving turns on the motion sensor for the hand dryer – and when you stand up and wash your hands, if you bend slightly, your backside also activates the hand dryer. Makes for a warm butt.   I decide to get something to eat since we’re not sure when that is happening again, and I needed protein – I get this thing that looks like it’s just a mashed banger (their sausage, which looks more like a hotdog) in a flaky pastry.  Like a fancy pig in a blanket.  I get it from “quiet girl” – she’s speaking so softly and in her Irish accent, I have to ask her to repeat at least 3 times.  I apologize for having to ask her to repeat and say, “you’re just so quiet.” – she looks at me and says, “yes”.   Weird interaction.

Packing the car with 4 people

Breakfast
We drive along and we’re about an hour south of Dublin.  Dana has my phone and monitoring it because we’re waiting on texts from Lauren to hear that they’re through security and at their gate.  What we hear from her just makes my heart sink.  Thomas doesn’t have a seat on the plane – she has a confirmed seat, but Thomas does not.  We keep getting updates - they let them through to the gate, but then he still doesn’t have a seat.  We learn that in order for him to get a seat, 7 people would have to give up their seats.  Then Thomas calls – Dana answers.. he said, “You’ve talked to Lauren.. – yes…  you’ve talked to Lauren.. “ – he was trying to say “you already know the situation?”.   Well it’s confirmed, he’s not flying out today – and they had tried to tell Lauren that she had to fly out today since she had a seat, and if she wanted to fly out tmw with him that she would have to buy another ticket (WHAT?!?!).  She lost it – her quote was “tears everywhere”.  Thomas says that he thinks she scared them.  Well GOOD!  They scared the hell out of us, I’m not mad that they’re a little scared – and then right after she cried they told her that she could fly out with him tmw.  The same flight, the same time, guaranteed seats, just 24 hours later.  We’re wondering if we need to turn around – but we’re not sure what we do if we did.  I feel like the bad aunt abandoning the kids in Dublin, but we’re handling things by phone and Thomas is in control of things on the frontline.   We have reservations in Killarney and other points along the way, and no place to stay in Dublin.  We want to talk to the airline people but they won’t talk to us on the phone (probably a good policy) – so Brittany gets on the phone and tells Thomas that he has to get in line (she told him to ask the counter lady a few things and he said that she was busy.. ) and he’s going to interpret the phone call for her then, and ask them all the things that we need to know.  What about hotel, and transportation, and food?  And can they get their luggage..  Thomas does a great job of sticking with it and staying calm, getting all the information.   After we’re satisfied with logistics I get on the phone and talk emotions – Thomas is cool and calm – he’s fine, but he says that Lauren had a bit of a melt down.  Well yah, I would too – this is a scary thing, an international flight that won’t let you on??  Stuck in Dublin alone?  So I talk her through it – so proud of both of them and tell her that I thought I was such a big girl when I was 18, I drove to a Paul McCartney concert in Ames, Iowa with my cousin Mandy – she SO has me beat.  And I tell her what a great story this is going to make later – that this happens all the time, and it’s all going to be good, the airline is going to take care of them, and if they have ANY questions or concerns or need any information from the airline to not be afraid to ask for it.  This is the airline’s fault that the flight is overbooked and they need to take care of them.  She seems better by the end.  I tell them just to go back to the hotel and relax, take a nap, call family (it’s about 3am at home at this point) and to keep in touch with us every step of the way.

We’re almost to the Blarney Castle – but I can’t really think about much other than the kids.  We pull in and I get a text from Lauren that they’re in the hotel, and I see on Lauren’s facebook that they also get a $900 voucher for future flights (each) – and I talk to David and he says that it’s transferable, and that they could sell it back to the airline for $400 cash.  The airline is covering hotel, transportation, and breakfast, lunch and dinner… So while it’s scary and inconvenient, they have made an effort to make it better, and that voucher does make things a little less tense.  Lauren seems in good spirits the next time I talk to her, and when I talk to David about it, he says that she sounded good too.  So I’m totally relieved – and so so PROUD of both of them for handling this so well, working those tears, and making the best of things.  You need to be flexible, adapt and take things in stride to be an international traveler, and I think that having the most horrible thing that could happen, happen to you on your first trip abroad will make everything else just cake when they travel again. 

Meanwhile.… Back at Blarney Castle – it’s beautiful and now that I know the kids are at the hotel I can relax a little.   There is a large compound around the castle that includes the Poison Garden (which has all varieties of poisonous plants, including mandrakes and wolf’s bane from Harry Potter), and a Rock Close with a nice little path with streams, bridges and waterfalls… the walk up to the castle takes about 10 minutes.  We’re a little iffy if we’re going up – well, everyone but Dana is, this is one of the things on her list of must do’s (The London Eye, kiss the Blarney Stone, see a dolphin) so she’s doing it.  But we hear that the path up is tight and not for people with claustrophobia, and frankly we’re just worried that we’ll fit through.  But we overhear tour guide talking about it, and so Britt goes up and asks him about it.  He says that’s a “comfortable” fit, so we get in line.  It’s a steep climb up, and gets steeper as you get closer to the top.  Patti is little nervous in this situations, a real white-knuckler and she’s holding onto the ropes they have installed as “banisters” (I say that in quotes because the climb is so steep the rope banisters are nearly vertical).  We make it to the top and we see the process – there is a guy helping you, and you have to sit down, lay back, and then lean back – your head is upside down, and then kiss the stone while essentially hanging backwards off of a tall tower…  but the guy helps, and he just keeps saying the same loop over and over… We got all four of us on video kissing it, and Dana and I bought the cheesy picture that they sell of you kissing it.   We cool off (remember the heat wave, it really is pretty warm) and then peruse the poison garden.   The mandrake and the other Harry Potter plants have these beehive shaped iron cages over them – I guess that people try to take some home, or pull up a mandrake to see if there is really a screaming baby underneath.  One of the plants doesn’t even have anything growing there – hard to keep it growing if people won’t leave it alone I suppose.  We head to the gift shop and the Rock Close area – the headliner of the Rock Close is the floating rock, it’s balanced so that it looks like it’s floating and sometimes it still moves (but seems really secure or they wouldn’t let us around it, right?).  We walk back toward the gate and cool off with some ice cream – and as much as we joke about the heat wave and the warning of 80 degrees, it’s not St. Louis hot, but it’s muggy and sticky and we were promised jacket weather.  It’s about 20 degrees warmer than it’s supposed to be here, but we’re grateful that it’s not rainy.





The rope bannister


Dorks...
We’re hungry and we head to the town of Blarney to find a pub and more gift shops.. There is a game on the big screen at the pub and the place is filling up as people gather to watch the big match).   We’re trying to figure out what the game is and we don’t want to look like idiots by asking – but it’s not soccer and it’s not rugby, and once we’re sure of that, we don’t mind asking one of the locals sitting at the table next to us.   It’s called “G.A.A.” (not gaaw) – at the time we hear her say “G.A.” – and Pub after – GAA game – It's weird because they're dribbling like basketball when they run, have a ball like soccer (not rugby shaped), you score by kicking through posts like football (except while you’re running – like you would kick a ball on the ground in soccer, you kick it through the air while running..), and there is tackling like rugby – it’s like they’ve taken all these elements from different games and put them together.  The locals tell us that it’s BIG here in Ireland, and we ask who we’re rooting for. Well, it’s the big match between county Cork and county Kerry (we’re in Cork, but about 30 miles from Kerry – so we’re rooting for Cork.  I looked it up later… here’s an article on the match that we saw, and on the rules of the game.


 
Outside the pub -- made us chuckle...
We eat and go shopping at the Woolen Mills, advertised as the largest Irish shop in Ireland, and it has the tour busses parked out front to prove it. It has everything you’d ever want from Ireland – knitted things and Irish things o’plenty – our cashier is Patti O’Leary (seriously) …. from Texas.   She has an American accent and so we ask how she ended up here – she married an Irishman – thus the O’Leary.

We head to Kilarney, but our B&B is just before Killarney and doesn’t really have an address so it’s hard for Tim to find it for us.   We end up taking the long way around (Tim!) but finally find it.  It’s called Salmon’s Leap – and they’re very focused on being green here.  Nice bonus.  Dana and I get a room that has an outside entrance (and feels nice and cool), Britt and Patti take an upstairs bedroom. We settle for a second and then head out to dinner.  After talking to our host, she recommends a place called The Mills “just up the road” instead of going into Killarney to eat (we had a restaurant that Justine recommended) because that GAA game with Cork and Kerry was held IN Killarney, and now it will be full of people either celebrating or commiserating after the game – we’re all about avoiding a mass of people and so we head to The Mills.  But we keep driving and driving.. and Brittany offers the small town explanation of “up the road” – it’s further than a St. Louis “up the road” – and she’s right, we do find it!  We have some cider (yum) and good comfort food (they specialize in that here) and we are heading back and ready for bed… and it’s 7:30? Dana and I watch some Irish tv (we find the Cube again), the others read, and it’s 10 by the time Dana is snoring and I’m trying to get some blog typed.   There is no service here, even though we’re supposed to have wi-fi, it comes and goes (mostly goes), and it’s been a while since I’ve heard from the kids.  I turn on my data, and I still don’t have service – and I realize that we’ll still be here in the morning when I’ll be wanting to check in with them about their new flight.   I go over to the main house to see if I can get any bars before I go to bed, but nothing.  So I decide to take the car out to see if I can get service and it works!  They’re doing fine – had a relaxing if boring day at the hotel.. There is nothing exciting in Dublin near the airport, but all is as good as it can be.  I warn them that I may not have service in the morning, but keep texting anyway – update, update, update.  Can’t wait for them to be safe on a plane home.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment